Jane Says

Last week I was driving around running errands and listening to Jane’s Addiction. Remember Jane’s Addiction? God, one of my favorite live recordings ever is “Jane Says.”

This is the cover to their debut studio album, ironically titled “Nothing’s Shocking.” At the time, it was a pretty shocking image to me. The sculpture was made by Perry Farrell, after an image he’d seen in a dream, and most retailers at the time refused to carry it. The album was then sold with a cardboard slipcover.

I’ve been listening to them for 20 some-odd years, but the other day it got me wistful. It reminded me of my post-high school, pre-marriage years when my friends and I worked the late shift at restaurants, stayed out watching live bands in dive bars all weekend, and tried to make our Intro to Theater class Monday morning. Before Starbuck’s, before everyone had a cell phone, before iPods, and before anyone realized that computers would soon be cool. The days of driving the 300 dollar, 70s-issued muscle car that your uncle fixed up for you. When we were phasing out of the super-teased headbanger concert hair, and going through our grunge hippie phase.

1970 Chevy Monte Carlo. I drove one exactly like this. Until some drunk a-hole rear-ended me at 55 mph.

I have another little spot on the web, called “Moongroove.” It’s a very different site, kind of a little happy place for me to zone out, collect images that make me feel good, and share some of my favorite music. One of the pictures I posted recently really made me want  to go to a concert again:

I mean, look at that chick. This image perfectly captures that feeling of having a great time. I used to love going to concerts, and I wanted to go again. But it’s not what it used to be. It’s expensive! And crowded! And you don’t get home til 2:00! And…ugh…it’s just easier to stay home, right? Man do I feel old.

So I got lucky when I found out that Jane’s Addiction would be at the Arizona State Fair. I could go to a concert, the tickets would be cheap, and I’d get home early. Better yet, I invited one of my old-school BFFs. Done!

I have to admit, I was a little trepidatious about going…I mean, Perry Farrell’s been in & out of rehab how many times? And he’s how old? And what’s the big deal about Dave Navarro anyway? I was afraid they would just sound…thrashed.

OH BOY WAS I WRONG. They were AWESOME! In fact, I couldn’t believe how great they sounded. I guess that’s one of the good things about going to see a band that made their way by playing live gigs; they just know how to do it. And not only did they sound great, they were fun to watch as well. Dave Navarro just rips on that guitar, and Perry, well, Perry could be his own show. I don’t think I have ever seen a concert where the lead singer was enjoying himself so immensely. I mean, he was smiling the whole time. The dude was just having fun and loving life. And you know what? It didn’t stop with him. That’s the thing about good energy. The whole stadium was having a good time. Everyone was in a great mood. It flowed out of him, and it was contagious.

It might have had something to do with the fact that the entire place reeked of weed, but…no, really. It was an awesome show. If you get a chance to see them live, don’t give it a second thought. Just go. And have fun.

listen to “Jane Says”

Jane says
I’m done with Sergio
He treats me like a ragdoll
She hides
The television
Says I don’t owe him nothing,
But if he comes back again
Tell him to wait right here for me
Or just
Try again tomorrow
I’m gonna kick tomorrow
Gonna kick tomorrow

Jane says
Have you seen my wig around?
I feel naked without it
She knows
They all want her to go
But that’s O.K. man
She dont like them anyway
Jane says
I’m goin away to Spain
When I get my money saved
I’m gonna start tomorrow
I’m gonna kick tomorrow
Gonna kick tomorrow

She gets mad
Starts to cry
She takes a swing but
She cant hit
She don’t mean no harm
She just don’t know
What else to do about it

Jane goes
To the store at 8:00
She walk up on St. Andrews
She waits
And gets her dinner there
She pulls her dinner
From her pocket
Jane says
I’ve never been in love
I don’t know what it is
Only knows if someone wants her
I want them if they want me
I only know they want me

She gets mad
And she starts to cry
She takes a swing man
She cant hit!
She don’t mean no harm
She just don’t know
What else to do about it

Jane says
Jane says

monte carlo photo credit

Advertisements

Published by

Heidi

www.westceltgypsy.com

3 thoughts on “Jane Says”

1. Ah-gee, I missed all that: weed, live concerts, the pull of the crowd, big hair, late nights, and muscle cars. Slow and steady was the mode; perhaps an occasional cigarette, a ride in a friends 57′ Chevy, “live” gigs on 45RPM…damn dull by today’s standards. No regrets…well maybe a few…”why didn’t I ever visit Europe?”, “300 miles from ‘home’ for almost 50 years”, “never really took a risk”, ran from my demons, and thought more about what the other guy thought. Ah-gee, it is what it is.

1. No regrets, Sara! We all live our own experience, and become who we are because of it. Besides, you can still go to a concert! And – hey, don’t feel bad – I’ve never ridden in a ’57 Chevy.

2. I’d forgotten that you went, and it was fun to hear how it felt for you to be back in that scene. I was never a fan of mega-concerts and feel lucky to have seen some great shows at small venues. Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at a Marin County concert hall; Natalie Merchant at the University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana) theatre; Bruce Hornsby at Yoshi’s in Oakland and at Villa Montalvo. And way back, Howard Jones at Starlight in Kansas City and House of Pain at some converted hall in downtown KC. I’m a music lover with eclectic taste, so maybe that’s why I ended up at interesting shows. Hadn’t thought of some of those in years…thanks for inspiring the walk down memory lane.